PAʻI is hiring! We are hiring a hula instructor to lead two new weekly introductory classes in hula kahiko (ancient style Hawaiian dance) and hula ʻauana (modern style Hawaiian dance) at PAʻI Arts & Culture Center.
The successful applicant will have at the minimum:
- 10-15 years of the study of hula under a master hula teacher
- 2 years of prior teaching experience
- A working knowledge of basic hula terminology, Hawaiian language, history and culture
- ʻŪniki (graduation through the rituals of hula) at the level of ʻōlapa (dancer), hoʻopaʻa (chanter) or kumu hula (master teacher) is preferred but not required
- Must be proficient in hula and the use of all hula instruments
- Must be able to teach all ages from keiki (children) to kupuna (elders)
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of kinesiology, body alignment and understanding of how the body moves
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a grant-based, part-time and non-permanent position. No health or other benefits. No relocation expenses paid.
Please email your cover letter, current resume, and a list of 3 references with contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line: Hula Instructor Position.
Submission deadline: October 24, 2014.